HOMECHALK PAINTMILK PAINTLOCATIONSWORKSHOPSCOLOR RECIPESCONTACTBLOG
"I just want to create beautiful things, even if nobody cares" -Anonymous

Monday, April 18, 2011

A day in Old Towne Orange...

I was on a quest to find some unique small tables that could be used when decorating within a limited space. It's quite a task to find tables to fit in an area where there isn't a lot of room. It's an issue I had been coming across a lot lately. I decided to go to historic Old Towne Orange, California for some solution ideas. This is a place filled with antique and vintage stores along with plenty of quaint restaurants and trendy gift shops.

I approached the central plaza from the freeway, preparing for the daunting task of navigating my way through the exciting round-a-bout in the center of this small town. As I approached, I was disappointed to see that the circle was closed off, filled with pedestrians and parked cars. After my initial let down, I was thrilled to discover that there was a vintage car show going on. Yes, a 2fer! I don't know much about cars, but I can appreciate good design when I see it!


The streets were filled with proud show car owners and inspired onlookers. I was completely out of my element, but I tried to blend in and just enjoyed the scenery as I made my way to my first stop. The shops were busier than normal, filled with car enthusiasts strolling in to escape the heat. Okay Debbie...focus. Tables, small scale tables. The first place I hit was Country Roads, located at 204 W. Chapman Ave, my favorite. They never let me down. Here's what I found:


Okay, so it's technically not a table. But we need to think outside of the box here people. Above is a 20" squared, 1920's French travel chest that would make an adorable side table.



Next I found this mid-century modern 30" round brass tray table. Perfect height and size for a small scale coffee table. It even swivels!

What a clever use of an old barrel as a table base. This is tall enough to be used in a small kitchen along with counter height stools. They had used a 30" piece of glass as the topper.

Absolutely LOVED this vintage mustard colored trunk. It was custom made into a perfect sized coffee table for a small space. It was mounted on a rustic black metal base.

Next I went to the Chapman Antique Mall located at 201 E. Chapman Ave. That is where I found the above small tiled tables. Perfect height and size for accent tables. They don't come cheap, but they are interesting and add a splash of color. I was told that Diane Keaton had just been in and bought several of these.


I had really worked up a thirst by now. I decided to stop in at the most adorable tea room for some relief. Paris in a Cup is located at 119 S. Glassell. This placed was packed! They serve light lunches along with traditional tea service. Although I just stepped in for a drink, my curiosity was peaked and I will definitely go back to try out the food.


I headed across the street to Down Home Antiques, 200 E. Chapman Ave. I found this awesome vintage trunk with original iron details and leather strapping. This would make a great coffee table along with some storage to boot!

There was so much to see, I could go on and on. I defintely found some solutions to my dilemma in dealing with small areas. I did get sidetracked a few times, but I will save those details for a future blog! I have to say, Old Town Orange is one of my favorite places. The inventory is constantly being refreshed with unique, one of a kind items, making it a different experience with every visit. I hope I gave you some great ideas!

I spent almost five hours perusing through endless stalls of eye candy and I was exhausted and hungry by the end of the day. As I made my way back to my car, I decided to try out a cute little Mexican restaurant called Taco Adobe, 121 N. Lemon Ave.


What a bargain this place is. I expected it to be counter service, but I was pleasantly surprised to be offered a seat. Waiter service, chips and salsa, two authentic tacos, and a large iced tea. All for $6.50. Ole'!

2 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great blog post! Thank you for sharing it with me on I Heart.

-Kelly
www.iheartoldtowneorange.com

Sue said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for your kind words about my store, Country Roads! I'm so happy you posted about Adobe! They are one of the best Mexican food restaurants ever! We all eat there quite often!

Take care, Sue