HOMECHALK PAINTMILK PAINTLOCATIONSWORKSHOPSCOLOR RECIPESCONTACTBLOG
"I just want to create beautiful things, even if nobody cares" -Anonymous

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pomona's Antique Row...


Antique Row is on a picturesque street in Old Towne Pomona, California. I love how they have kept all of the buildings original, including the old signage! I was told by one of the shop owners that this street was used for the downtown scenes in the movie "Cat in the Hat" starring Mike Myers. I can see why, so cute! There is plenty of parking and the people are SUPER friendly. I struck up quite a few conversations with the shop owners, listening to the stories behind the special pieces they had on their floors.



My first stop was Autumn Leaves, located at 265 East 2nd Street. That is where owner Randy told me the story behind the above piece. This is a train seat from the Monan Railroad that used to operate in the state of Indiana from 1897-1956. This train line used to go right by Randy's neighborhood where he lived as a young boy. I wish you could see the details on the legs! Reupholstered, it would make a great love seat and a conversation piece. The back even reclines to lay flat. An old fashioned futon?!


They also has this bustle chair sitting out front. I adore the shape of these chairs. Great patina on this one!


I found this one-of-a-kind GINORMOUS cut-out of  Mary Pickford at P & P Antiques and Collectibles, located at 279 East 2nd Street. It's much larger in person and I completely fell in love with it. Owner Pat told me it's from a movie studio set from the 1920's. Fans would pose next to her and have their picture taken. This would make a great art piece on a large wall. Perfect for a media room!


Located at 200 East 2nd Street is Pomona Antique Mart, the largest of all of the stores in the row. This place has three levels of collectibles, furniture, and vintage clothing. I could imagine the above scale hanging over a kitchen island instead of the typical pot rack.



This bench would be perfect in the corner of a limited space kitchen. Great with a small scale round table. So unique!



I stumbled across this retro office chairs and had some great ideas on how to update them. When I glanced at the price, just $20.50 a piece, I grabbed them! You'll see their transformation on a future post!


How dang cute is this 1950's black and white patio set?!!


The only thing I collect are vintage hands. They are hard to find, and when you do, they are typically not for sale. Most vendors use them to display their antique and vintage jewelry and will not part with them. It makes for a quite exciting hunt I must say. I saw these adorable salt and pepper shakers and had to have them! They came home with me. Yeah!


After leaving Antique Row, I went across to the west side of 2nd Street to what is called the Arts Colony. That is where I visited La Bomba vintage clothing, located at 195 West 2nd Street. I snagged the above old cowboy boots and vintage poncho. So cool!

Despite the clouds and the chilly weather, it was an amazing day. I'm so happy with all of my great finds! Until next time...

4 comments:

Sue said... Best Blogger Tips

Great photos and thanks for the tour of Old Towne Pomona! I never get away to shop at other places, so it is always nice to at least see what's out there through others pictures!

Take care, Sue

Deborah Cooper said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoy my outings!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Correction Mike Myres was in the Cat in the Hat not Jim Carrey

Deborah Cooper said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh man! You are so right! I'll change that.